August 20, 2013

heros & tender mercies

As I was finishing up my last few weeks of summer semester, I thought of all of the amazing people that I have in my life and how they are my true Heros. Most of them were miles away, but they still managed to save me everyday. 



There wasn't a single day that I didn't have the hand of the Lord in my life. I used the picture above because that is how I felt everyday. When I thought that I couldn't do it anymore, he lifted me up. When I failed a test after studying for hours and hours, he reassured me that my efforts were enough and got me going again. When I was lost in what I was supposed to do with my life, he opened my eyes and helped me see. When I kneeled in prayer, he answered me in the most simple yet special ways. He was always there when I needed him and I know he loves me. I have never felt Him so close to me and his hand in my life so much before and the relationship that I gained with him is something I will never trade. He placed people and happenings in my life when he knew I needed them most and helped me to keep going. I didn't know why I was supposed to go to summer semester at BYU but now that I look back, I think it was because I needed to see how much Heavenly Father and Jesus love me, make my testimony stronger, and see how important it is to have true faith in Christ.

Ether 12:27 says, "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble: and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

Christ is my Hero. He saved me everyday and made me a better person in every way.


I love my dear parents. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't call or receive a call from them that gave me the ability to keep going. They showed so much love and always had listening ears when I just needed to vent it all out. Every night since I moved up to BYU, June 21st, my mom would call me and say, "I'm going to bed! I just want to say goodnight and I love you since I can't in person anymore!" I lived for those nightly calls. At one point during finals week, I had been trying so hard to do my best, and I did, but after calling my mom sobbing as I walked through the bookstore because I just didn't know what else I could do, she gave me the courage to keep going and that I was doing just fine. My parents have always been my best friends and biggest fans, but I didn't realize how much they do for me everyday until I was gone. I love my parents and they will always be my heros. 


Before Nick left on his mission, we really weren't that close but ever since then, we have become the best of friends. I live for Monday mornings because that is when I get to talk to this sweet brother of mine who gives me the confidence and drive to keep going every week. He is the best example of how missionaries should be and his wife someday is going to be one lucky girl! When I say that I want to marry someone like Nick, I mean it with my whole heart. He makes me want to be a better person and the amount of love that he shows me each week is so special to me. His letters are always tender mercies in my life as he says exactly what I need to hear, right when I need to hear it. Ah, I love him so much. January 10th is going to be one happy day for me!!


But I can't forget about the rest of my amazing brothers and sisters! Jeni and Shandon lived about a block away from me with their little families, Annie only 5 minutes away and Elise decided to move away from me once I moved up due to a new job; but I was still lucky to be close to her too :) They were all angels in my life as they were so selfless and never stopped serving me.

Jeni sacrificed so many of her precious days to helping me study, feeding me meals, taking me to stores, and just keeping me company as I didn't really have a solid group of friends. She and Ryan were so sweet and loving to me. 

Annie was always asking how she could help me, teasing me along the way, but ready to be there at any time to help. She and Adam even let me borrow their car to go home for my best friends farewell one weekend. They have always been so generous to me. 

Shandon and Talli were just like the others, always showing how much they loved and cared about me. They decided to move on me at the end too, but while they were there, they always let me come over and spend time with them- helping me more than they know. 

And sweet Elise. Even though she didn't live close to me, she still helped me like the others as she prayed for me when I needed the extra help and showed me her love by spending time with me when she was in Provo. Elise has always been so sweet and caring to me and I am so grateful for her. 

All of my siblings are my heros and my angels. I wouldn't be able to do it without them! 


Each one of these missionaries have been my hero's in their own ways. 
(in order as pictured- left to right)

Kade: I came home for a short weekend and it just so happened that Kade's farewell was that same weekend. Kade has always been there to give me a good laugh but his farewell talk was one that I will never forget. He focused on having faith in Christ and relying on him and it was that talk that gave me the extra push to finish the semester. His sweet testimony really touched me and I knew then that he was going to be an amazing missionary. Those Tongan people are sure getting a great guy!

Brandon: As said in past posts, Brandon is my best friend. He left on his mission almost 2 months ago and his letters really helped me every week as they were almost like a present that meant, "Good job Kim. You made it through another week!" as they came on thursday's or friday's. Not only were they like a little present, but he always made me happy and kept me wanting to do my best in school. On the first day of finals (the day I called my mom sobbing in the bookstore), I had just been having a hard day but after I came home from work, I opened my email to a little surprise. Mind you, we don't email because letters are more fun, but I think he emailed me that day because Heavenly Father knew I needed a little pick-me-up. And he even had a letter waiting at my house in Santa Clara for when I got home. Such a tender mercy which really made me realize that the Lord loves me and knows when I need things-even something as simple as an email from my best friend :)

Riley: Ever since I started school, I've been volunteering as an investigator at the TRC (the place where missionaries teach investigators in the MTC) and I've absolutely loved it! I had to do a project for my Book of Mormon class and the Temple was closed, so I decided to go volunteer. My goal was to go and never see one of my missionary friends, but once week 6 hit, my goal ended. I was just finishing my shift and walking out when I ran into Elder Gates and it was a fun experience! It was definitely short and sweet, but it was nice being able to see how good he was doing and how much he loves this gospel. 

Joey: When Joey left, he had us give our emails to his mom so we could receive his family emails every week and let me tell you, I really love that! Getting his emails is a highlight of my week. He is the same old Joe and you always end up laughing real hard when you read his letters. You can tell that that he loves his mission and this gospel, but is laughing and having fun along the way. Everyone needs a good laugh here and there and luckily I have cute Elder Sargent to do that for me every week :)

Jake Akins: The day I came home, Jake showed up at my house to give us his farewell invitation and it made me so happy! He turned into a man. He's not little, skinny Jake anymore but now looks like a missionary and I love it. I'm glad I have one of my missionary friends still here for a little bit longer!!

Jake Lindsey: Boy do I love him. Jake was the first one to send pictures back home which I loved since he made sure they all got a picture in the MTC together before they all went their separate ways. He would send the pictures to Mitzi who then forwarded them on to me right when I needed a little bit of happiness. Jake is such a great missionary too and I love when his sweet mom sends me his emails because I get to really see how he's grown and loves this gospel. 

Mason: I really miss this cute cousin of mine. Mason was the first to leave and I really had a hard time saying goodbye to him. It was like I was saying goodbye to Nick all over again but it was only hard because I really, really love him! I feel like out of all of the boys, Mason is in the hardest living conditions but he is still happy Mason and never stops working. He is so focused on the work that his letters aren't very detailed, but I still love them because I know he is working so hard. Just like Nick, Mason is such an example to me and I am so glad that I am stuck with him forever!! 

I love every one of these missionaries so much and am so proud of what they are doing! They make me want to go serve a mission of my own more and more with every letter and I will always be grateful to how they make me want to be a better person and more Christ-like. Who knew that these boys would be my hero's when I met them in 5th grade + Brandon and Jake in High School :) 



And I could never forget about my last two heros: Katelyn and Cason. 
Somehow, they always knew when I needed a call or FaceTime date. They'd cheer up my day in seconds as they would make me laugh hysterically, tell me how much they missed and loved me, and counted down the days till I came home. Sometimes you just need to know how much your friends love you to help you keep going. They even cheered me on during finals sending me texts throughout the day! They did so much for me everyday and I am so lucky to have best friends like them! 

I am the luckiest girl in the world. I have so many amazing people in my life, even ones not mentioned, and I couldn't be more grateful for each of them! 

XOXO,
Kimbee



No comments: